Ask a Tim

Finally an answer to all your questions about everything. Not only an answer, but an answer from a Tim! E-mail all questions to AskingTim@Gmail.com or by clicking on the link on the left hand menu bar titled "Get your questions answered" and leaving a comment! I will reply (if I can) as soon as possible!

Thursday, September 29, 2005

On a warm summer's evening...

Tim,
In the song "The Gambler", by Kenny Rogers, does the gambler die at the end?
-Tormented in Texas

Dear Tormented,
This has been a long standing argument between one of my friends and I, and the short answer is, yes, yes he does!

I will state my case my by pointing out two lyrics in the song. The first being when the Gambler states:

"ev’ry hand’s a winner and ev’ry hand’s a loser,
And the best that you can hope for is to die in your sleep"


He is saying that its really hard to get ahead in life, and the best thing that can happen to you is a peaceful exit from this world.

Later in the song the singer (Kenny I guess) states that:

"[The Gambler] Crushed out his cigarette and faded off to sleep.
And somewhere in the darkness, the gambler, he broke even,
but in his final words I found an ace that I could keep."

"Broke even" is used here as an analogy for death due to what he said earlier about best thing you can hope for. Also, as the singer says "in his final words", and not "in his final words, to me" then it is assumed that they were in fact his final words and he has indeed slipped this mortal coil.

I know that some feel that this song is open to interpretation, but it seems to me to be a pretty open and shut case. Comments?

:: posted by timothy, 9:00 AM

1 Comments:

On the same subject, someone once tried to tell me that "Lola" is a transvestite. Is that true? If so, I don't believe it.
Blogger superjay, at September 30, 2005 6:08 AM  

Add a comment