Ask a Tim

Finally an answer to all your questions about everything. Not only an answer, but an answer from a Tim! E-mail all questions to AskingTim@Gmail.com or by clicking on the link on the left hand menu bar titled "Get your questions answered" and leaving a comment! I will reply (if I can) as soon as possible!

Friday, September 30, 2005

Just Like Cherry Cola...

Someone once tried to tell me that "Lola" is a transvestite. Is that true? If so, I don't believe it.

- SuperJay

Dear SuperJay,

Believe it or not, the song Lola, by the Kinks, is about a transvestite. But this was a very good question as the lyrics posted all over the internet are different depending on where you look.

The controversy lies in the lyric:

"I know what I am, and that I'm a man, and so is Lola."

I've also seen:

"I know what I am, I'm glad I'm a man, and so it Lola."

Which would indicate that Lola is glad that the protagonist of the song is man, but doesn't really indicate Lola's sexuality.

and:

"I know what I am, in bed I'm a man, and so is Lola."

...which is "right out!"

But all of this is neither here, nor there, as there are many other lyrics that hint at Lola's sexuality all through out the song. You can check out the lyrics on the web by clicking this button,The Kinks Lola Lyrics or performing your own search.

The song was inspired by the band's manager, who was dancing with what he thought was a woman one night at a Soho Club. Apparently as the night went on, "her" stuble started to show, but he was too drunk to notice.

***Did you know?*** Before the song was released, the BBC insisted that they change their lyrics, but not for what you would think. The original lyric was "where they served champagne that tastes just like coca cola". As this was free advertising for Coke, the BBC censored them.

:: posted by timothy, 8:29 AM

0 Comments:

Add a comment